YOU’RE DESTINED FOR GREAT THINGS
SENIOR DIRECTOR: ACADEMIC DEVELOPMENT & SUPPORT
AUCKLAND PARK KINGSWAY CAMPUS
(5-year contract renewable subject to performance)
- The University of Johannesburg (UJ) is a vibrant and cosmopolitan university, anchored in Africa and driven by a powerful strategy focused on attaining global excellence and stature (GES). With an emphasis on independent thinking, sustainable development, and strategic partnerships, UJ is an international university of choice. The University is guided by the ViceChancellor’s vision of “Positioning UJ in the Fourth Industrial Revolution (4IR) in the context of the changing social, political, and economic fortunes of Africa”.
The Division of Academic Development and Support (ADS) comprises multiple initiatives with the overall purpose of providing the best possible academic experience for undergraduate students in South Africa, and consequently of maximising retention, success and throughput. Our focus is on contributing substantially to the reduction of dropouts, and to improve the module pass rate and the degree throughput rate. The intellectual, professional and personal development of our students is entrusted into our care, and it is our responsibility to provide cutting-edge interventions. These include psychosocial support initiatives to stabilise and enrich the personal environment of the students, academic support initiatives to maximise learning opportunities, and initiatives to deepen and broaden the pervasive and sophisticated use of academic technologies. We strive to become a leader and pioneer of the Fourth Industrial Revolution in terms of teaching and learning. The opportunities and effects of 4IR are foregrounded in the learning experience, to maximise participation and agency. Our collective institutional goal is to develop graduates who are confident and passionate – as intellectuals, professionals, ethical and responsible citizens, and innovators. Read more about the division at https://www.uj.ac.za/teaching-and-learning/academic-development-and-support/
The University is seeking to appoint an exceptionally motivated and energetic leader of high professional and academic standing as Senior Director.Reporting to both the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Academics, the Senior Director is member of the UJ Senior Leadership Group (SLG) and will oversee the development, implementation, and management of student support programs that promote student success and contribute to the institution’s overall mission and strategic goals. Included is teaching and learning with technology support for staff.
The Senior Director will be expected to:
- Ensure strategies to support the academic success of the organisation’s students, Faculties, and staff are developed in all three (3) Centres.
- Oversee the development of innovative strategies to advance, Teaching and Learning.
- Oversee the design and development of online SLPs, MOOCs and modules (undergraduate and postgraduate).
- Develop strategies that will enhance Teaching and Learning supported by technology.
- Provide leadership to the GES4 Teaching and Learning projects; manage the finances.
- Oversee the implementation of programmes supported by the Foundation Grant.
- Effectively manage resources (financial, human and physical) for the effective running of the Division.
- Ensure effective People management within the Division in line with the Human Capital Management policies and guidelines.
- Ensure good corporate governance and compliance pertaining to policies, legislation and regulations.
- Ensure stakeholder management and engagement by collaborating with internal (Faculties, other Divisions) and external stakeholders to develop and implement academic programmes and initiatives that enhance student learning and success. Strategic Management of the three (3) Centres:
Academic Development Centre (ADC) Oversee and provide input on the management and effective implementation of the following services:
- Academic Development and Innovation (ADI)Learning Development
- Academic Literacies Writing Centres
- Access (Extended Degrees) Foundation Grant
- First Year Seminar (FYS) UJ 101
- First Year & Senior Student Experience (FYE & SSE)
- Integrated Student Success Initiative (ISSI)
- SA National Resource Centre
- Student Advising & Support Centre for Academic Technologies (CAT) Oversee and provide input on the management and effective implementation of the following services:
- T&L with Technology
- Edutech Software and Learning Management System
- Staff T&L with Technology Support
- Helpdesk for Student Support
- UJ-HEPSA online T&L project.
- Learning Analytics
- Student Advising Technical Systems & Implementation
- Special projects focused on student support, as needed Centre for Psychological Services and Career Development (PsyCaD
- Oversee and provide input on the management and effective implementation of the following services:
- Employability of UJ students
- Academic Counselling Services
- Career Services
- Disability Services
- Psychoeducation and Psychometry Services
- Therapeutic Services
- Training and Development Services
- Doctoral Degree (NQF 10).
- At least 10 years of experience in the Higher Education environment in South Africa.
- Proven excellence and experience in teaching and learning.
- Demonstrate excellence and experience implementing technology in teaching and learning, as well as blended learning and online learning.
- Proficiency in managing people.
- Research experience and output.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and development within the Higher Education sectors.
- Experience with implementing strategies to enhance student success.
- Understanding of the use of data analytics in enhancing student success.
- Proven experience in managing projects.
Terms of appointment:
The position of Senior Director, which is subject to a compulsory probation period of 12 months, is a 5-year contract appointment with an executive-level remuneration and benefits package commensurate with experience and qualifications. The appointment may be renewed for a further term of office, subject to performance.
The normal retirement age for members of the Senior Leadership Group is 65. Consideration will be given to candidates who would be able to serve a 5-year term.
To apply, submit a detailed Curriculum Vitae and letter of motivation outlining a possible vision and strategic direction for the position. The name and full contact details (including telephone numbers and email addresses) of at least (3) three traceable and credible referees must be included.
Applications must be marked ‘Confidential” and addressed to the Executive Director: Human Capital Management, and emailed to Ms. B Dumezweni at email: [email protected]Closing date: 26 June 2023